Monday, October 14, 2013

Newly Found Notebooks


 

From Kate's Writing Crate…

 

        Rejoice with me! I've found replacement notebooks!

 
        If you've been following this blog, you know I have a favorite pen to write with, the blue Pilot V-Ball fine point; a favorite pen to edit with, the red Pilot V-Ball extra fine point; and a favorite notebook, the college ruled Composition Book #730000 Fay-vo-rite made by Fay Paper Products, Inc., to write in as I fill one a month a la Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg. (See my September 17, 2012 post "My Favorite Writing Tools." These posts aren't paid endorsements, just my favorite choices. I read the IRS wants this made very clear in blogs so I am complying!)
 
Fay Paper Products, Inc. went out of business leaving me with only 15 notebooks left of the 200+ I had bought for school and writing over the years. I've been searching for an acceptable replacement, but without much luck. Other notebooks were too flimsy and not as simply beautiful with full marbled-color covers in red, blue, yellow, green, purple, and gray.
 
I've been writing more with my computer than my pen lately as I didn't want to run out of my beloved notebooks, but overall writing less as I'm not always near my computer. Not an ideal situation.
 
In my journey to find these perfect replacement notebooks, I've tried a dozen different brands. Also different sizes, but I prefer 11" x 8 ½" or 11" x 8 ¾". I also prefer 80 pages, but up to 100 is acceptable. Filling a notebook a month is a big commitment so 20 extra pages makes it tough when I am on deadline for other projects.
 
 
I was ecstatic when I found a notebook I liked even better—the Oxford 1 Subject Notebook College Ruled which comes in deeper shades of green, blue, red, yellow, gray, and light gray. The reason I like them better is the back cover is thicker so the notebook is sturdier. (Again, not a paid endorsement.) I am starting to stockpile them as I hate not having writing tools I love and depend on.
 
I love to write by hand throughout the day even as I do a majority of work on my computer. When I am writing using a pen, I feel freer to jot down ideas, words, and phrases to come back to later. I also copy quotes I enjoy from books I'm reading into my notebooks for possible use in essays and posts.
 
 Finally, I'm back in my writing routine which includes having a notebook handy at all times. As Natalie Goldberg states, "You have to give yourself the space to write a lot without a destination."
 
I'm not superstitious. I don't need these particular pens and notebooks; I just prefer to have tools I'm comfortable with so I can slip into my writing zone quickly. Writing is hard enough so it's best to use any tools that make it easier.
 
 
What tools make writing easier for you?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment