Monday, December 15, 2014

Joy of Writing 2



From Kate’s Writing Crate…


          There needs to be more joy in the world so if writing brings you joy, write. Don’t talk about it. Don’t think about it. Just sit down with pen and paper or at your keyboard and write.

          You may meander around topics. You might only jot down words and phrases. Stay seated. Keep going. The hardest part of writing is getting started. As Mary Poppins said, “Once begun is half done.”

          Once I have an idea or reach my stream of consciousness, words fly from my brain onto the page. It happens so quickly, I don’t always realize what I have written until I go back and read it.

I am happy to sit still alone and write. I don’t feel joy then, just excitement when I hit my stride.

The joy comes when I sit back and read what I wrote. Even if it isn’t always good, it’s good to get it down—to have written. There is usually an idea, a phrase, sentence, or, upon occasion, a paragraph worth keeping. The longer I write, the more there is to keep.

But that isn’t all there is to writing. Come back to what you have written a day or two later. You will see what is good and not so good with fresh eyes. You will have more to write as your subconscious has been simmering and considering things. The more you work on a piece, the more it shines.

Give yourself the joy of writing. Following your dream is the best gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment