Thursday, August 28, 2014

Brown-Nosing to Increase Your Writer's Social Media Presence

From Cheryl's Writing Crate

I have a small confession--I'm a social media junkie.  There--I said it!  To those closest to me, this is of absolutely no surprise.  As the passionate mother of eight kids, I openly admit that I love posting, tweeting, and pinning family related items (respecting their privacy on sensitive topics!) that I either think will be of interest to my friends and followers or just as importantly ideas and thoughts that I feel are interesting and I simply want to share.

As a writer, blogger and professional pod caster, I wholeheartedly believe that social media can benefit my craft in a multitude of ways, primarily offering exposure of my work to hundreds and many times thousands of audience members that I wouldn't otherwise meet.

Social media, however, isn't within everyone's comfort zone, and that's perfectly fine.  The beauty of these tools is that individuals can use them to the fullest of their potential or limit how often they reach out to others on line and in some cases, choose not to go this route at all.

For someone like myself who desires to mingle with these social media avenues on a regular basis for professional reasons, I think one of the most important things to keep in mind is to consistently stay active so that my followers can count on regular content and updates (regardless of how in depth they are).  

This not only requires commitment on my part, but it's also imperative to find new ways to interact with existing followers and continually attract new ones.  To me, one of the most enjoyable aspects of facebook, Twitter and Pinterst is the engaging banter that takes place after I post, tweet or pin a thought, upload an article or ask for feedback on a particular topic of interest or one that is trending such as the popular ALS ice bucket challenge.  You never know who will respond or what inspiring ideas you will glean from this type of interaction.

Because I am always looking for ways to reach out and attract new followers, I enjoy reading posts from fellow social media junkies about this subject.  Recently, I read a clever article from Randy Ross called Marketing for Writers:  3 Tricks for Facebook, Twitter, Meetup which offered some quick and easy tips to promote social media sites.

The article offered ways to brown-nose your way into getting more followers and while that may sound a bit pathetic in theory, I found his ideas to be practical and definitely worth giving a shot.

If you are looking for ways to increase the traffic to your social media sites, I highly recommend you click on the link above and read Ross's article for yourself.  If you like what you read, you can give his tactic a try and do a little brown-nosing of your own by leaving a comment or two on this blog!  

No comments:

Post a Comment