Monday, September 8, 2014

Reads for Writers: 20 Writers Discuss Why They Write

 
From Kate's Writing Crate…
 
        Why do we write? Every writer has his or her own motivation, but it's helpful and inspiring to hear other writers' reasons.
        In Why We Write, edited by Meredith Maran, 20 acclaimed authors discuss how and why they do what they do. Each author gives an overview of his or her background and books as well as discussing his or her writing life. Here are some highlights:
 
"Writing is always giving some sort of order to the chaos of life. It organizes life and memory."
                                                Isabel Allende   (page 11)
 
"There's a moment in every book when the story and characters are finally there; they come to life, they're in control. They do things they are not supposed to do and become people they weren't meant to be. When I reach that place, it's magic. It's a kind of rapture."
                                                Sara Gruen   (page 62)
 
"I write to dream; to connect with other human beings; to record; to clarify; to visit the dead. I have a kind of primitive need to leave a mark on the world. Also, I have a need for money."
                                                Mary Karr   (page 107)
 
"I write to explain myself to myself. It's a way of processing my disasters, sorting out the messiness of life to lend symmetry and meaning to it."
                                                Armistead Maupin   (page 130)
 
"I write to investigate things I'm curious about."
                                                Jane Smiley   (page 206)
 
 
"Working it out is a kind of exercise you've given yourself that no one else will give you. It's a very personalized form of homework."
                                                Meg Wolitzer   (page 220)
 
        Why do you write?

No comments:

Post a Comment