Monday, October 31, 2016

Magazine Timing




From Kate’s Writing Crate…

          
          For anyone who wonders what it’s like to be the editor of a monthly magazine, here’s one aspect that takes getting used to:

          I always find this time of year a bit confusing. Halloween hasn’t even arrived and I’ve been doing nothing but think about Thanksgiving for weeks as I just sent the November issues of the magazines to the printer on October 24th. The next day, I started planning the December issues.

          Trick-or-Treaters will arrive even as I sort through emails about December events and plan holiday covers. One year I asked a friend how her children’s Halloween Party went three days before the party date. In my mind, Halloween had come and gone as Santa is now making his list and checking it twice.

          With my work schedule blurring timelines, I have to be really organized when it comes to the holiday season. I shop early. I actually try to have my Christmas shopping done before I buy Halloween candy and my gift wrapping done before Thanksgiving because when others are preparing for Christmas, Chanukah, Kwanzaa, or any other December holiday, I’m wrapping up the January issue and planning for Valentine’s Day.

          Happy…whatever holiday is closest!



No comments:

Post a Comment