Monday, February 5, 2018

Reads for Writers: Tribe of Mentors by Timothy Ferriss



From Kate’s Writing Crate…


            I am reading Tribe of Mentors: Short Life Advice from the Best in the World by Timothy Ferriss who asks over 130 people from all walks of life the same 11 questions including: What book do you give as a gift the most or what one to three books have most influenced your life? What purchase of $100 or less has most positively impacted your life? How has failure set you up for later success? If you could have one gigantic billboard, what would it say? In the last five years, what new belief or habit has most improved your life?  


Here are some of my favorite quotes by authors/writers:



“…Real work and real satisfaction come from the opposite of what the web provides. They come from going deep into something—the book you’re writing, the album, the movie—and staying there a long, long time,” says Steven Pressfield. (page 9)



“…Obsess over figuring out the funnest, most exciting, most natural shape of yourself as a writer and start doing that…” Tim Urban (page 47)


“…Don’t let someone knock you off course before you reach your destination. Trust the work. Always trust the work,” says Soman Chainani. (page 72) “Make sure you have something every day you’re looking forward to…,” (page 73)


“…the metric I now use to judge my efforts and goals is: Did I do my best, given who I was and what I knew at that particular time? And what can I learn from the outcome to make my best better next time?” says Neil Strauss (page 98)


“Courage over comfort,” says Brene Brown. (page 233)


“Don’t let the weight of fear weigh down the joy of curiosity,” says Peter Guber. (page 281)


“Everything you want is on the other side of fear,” says Aisha Tyler quoting Jack Canfield (page 432)


                      
       Thanks to Tribe of Mentors, I have many new titles on my reading list as well as a lot of good advice from writers and many other successful people.


The book is a great gift idea, especially for new graduates. 






No comments:

Post a Comment