Thursday, April 4, 2013

If You Want to Write

From Cheryl's Writing Crate

There are two things I long for as a writer: 1) More time to write. 2)  More time to read.  It's when I'm writing or sitting peacefully reading a great book that I feel most content, and although I don't get to do either often enough, when I am writing or absorbed in a wonderful book I truly don't take it for granted.

My bookshelf is crammed with everything from saucy romances to the latest self-help books on diet and exercise.  I'm never at a loss when I need to quickly grab something to keep me occupied because of my eclectic personal library.  Part of that library contains a very large section of books on how to improve the craft of writing.  Thanks to my blogging partner, Kate, I have expanded this collection considerably over the past couple of years, and am I ever grateful.

I'm currently reading a fantastic book called If You Want To Write by Brenda Ueland.  This classic was first published in 1938 yet the information she shares is so appropriate for all of us 21st century writers.  Ueland stresses that love and imagination are the key to not only successful writing but also to the success of anything in life you pursue.  




Brenda Ueland gives some great advice to those who really want to write!

One of my favorite chapters is entitled, "Why Women Who Do Too Much Housework Should Neglect It For Their Writing"!  It resonates so deeply with me because of the guilt I often feel when I break away from a household project to work on my novel.  Ueland's advice was simple yet powerful on this topic. 

"If you would shut your door against your children for an hour a day and say: " Mother is working on her five-act tragedy in blank verse!"  you would be surprised at how they would respect you.  

After re-reading that particular chapter many times, I feel as though Ueland gave me permission to spend time on something that is very sacred and important to me, without the guilt I usually attach to my writing time.  How refreshing!

Do you have a particular writing book that speaks to you and makes you feel as though you are unstoppable and should be allowed to write whenever the muse strikes?

No comments:

Post a Comment