Thursday, June 20, 2013

A Writer's Intuition

From Cheryl's Writing Crate

You know what it is like when you feel something is not quite right, but have no clear reason as to why you feel that way?  I know for me personally, I get these hunches in regards to personal or family life often enough that I have learned to rely on them rather than ignore them.
During the past year since Kate and I had the good fortune to launch this writing blog, I’ve been much more in tune to my feelings where my writing is concerned as well, and not just while paying attention to my inner voice telling me something with my writing isn’t quite right.  But instead I’ve also been very tuned in to noticing ideas or content for my articles and stories that seemingly come from nowhere, especially when both my muse and I know these ideas are totally “outside the box”! 
Just a few short years ago I don’t think I would’ve paid much attention to these messages, but after spending a lot more quality time with myself and my thoughts, I’ve discovered I have a wonderful new asset in my writer’s toolbox that is unique solely to me—my writer’s intuition.  I believe we all have access to the gift of intuition, but only if we choose to let it guide us does it make a positive difference in our personal, professional, or creative lives. 
Once I stopped making excuses that I was the busy mother of 8 and didn’t have time to fulfill my own dreams and goals, my intuition and I formed a whole new relationship which has provided me with stability as well as many rushes of adrenaline because I’ve chosen to actually listen rather than run and hide.   Because of this, I’m writing more both professionally and for personal satisfaction than ever before, and I’m much more focused and grounded despite being busier than ever with my crazy family life.
I read some terrific tips from Bryan Hutchinson recently on how to let your intuition guide your writing life, here are some of my favorites:
Never Underestimate Your Writer's Intuition!
1) Empty your mind.
Before you start writing, take a couple moments to relax and empty your mind of any and all thoughts.
The best way to do this is to take ten or fifteen minutes to think of absolutely nothing and allow yourself to connect with your subconscious. Your subconscious is where all the really good stuff is.
2) Listen to your gut.
If something feels right then it usually is and if it feels wrong or forced, then reconsider.

3) Keep a journal.
The best insights and ideas come when you least expect them.
Lucky people are lucky because they are prepared for opportunity anytime and anywhere. Be ready. Keep a journal.

4) Visualize the results you want.
Don’t be concerned with being realistic because realistic people stay grounded and in the crowd.

5) Trust your intuition.
It will do you no good otherwise.
Of course, intuition should not be used with a total absence of reason and logic, but that’s what the second and third drafts are for. 

Are you ready to listen to your intuition or have you already?

No comments:

Post a Comment