Thursday, August 22, 2013

A Love Affair With Libraries

From Cheryl's Writing Crate

Yesterday my kids and I spent a quiet afternoon at our local library.  I must confess.......when I think of Heaven..........I can definitely equate the two!  As they selected their next reads, I sat and just soaked in the smell of crisp paper and let the calm and peaceful atmosphere envelope me in complete inspiration.

I don't often go to the library to do my writing and the main reason for that is I find it much too distracting.  Don't get me wrong, it's not that my library of choice is loud and filled with obnoxious patrons--quite the contrary.  I always feel at home with the souls that sit and peruse their favorite authors or write eagerly or intently in their journals or on their laptops.  The reason I can't stay focused on my own writing projects is that I love exploring the aisles and rooms of our library so I just can't seem to stay seated in one place for very long.

Every time I go to the library I think of it as a treasure hunt.  Depending on my mood I just never know what hidden gems I will find.  Yesterday, for instance, I was in the mood to explore cookbooks.  I love to cook when I'm not pressured or rushed, but with the new school year right around the corner, I know my pace is going to go from semi-laid back to full throttle in only a few short weeks and with that, my love of making homemade pasta sauces and puttering in the kitchen is going to come to a screeching halt.

Or...........maybe not.

After spending nearly an hour in the cookbook section, I found three new cookbooks that I think could change all that, and one of them was an international sandwich cookbook!  I actually felt tingly as I checked the books out, almost as though I had a new purpose in our "back to school" life because I had some fresh, flavorful new recipes to try out during the first few weeks of school.

As a writer, I think routine visits to the library are simply a must!  This wonderful treasure trove of a building is not just about books and words, it's about inspiration, dreaming, reflecting and discovering endless bits of information that can open one's mind to places the mind might never be able to experience.

These days our libraries are a fountain of new-aged information.  Not only can you check out thousands upon thousands of books, DVDs and videos you also have access to:

  • e-books, magazines (online and in print) and the internet.

  • technology training

  • job-search resources

  • cultural and educational events

  • lectures and continuing educational series

  • free concerts and art presentations

  • free museum passes for your family

  • a great place to connect and meet individuals from all walks of life

  • story hours

  • teen reading events

  • book clubs

The list goes on and on.  As both a book lover and writer, I am so grateful for this amazing resource available to all of us for free and in our own backyards.

What are some of your thoughts and experiences with your local libraries?

No comments:

Post a Comment