Thursday, November 14, 2013

Making The Most of Our Time

From Cheryl's Writing Crate

Last week I didn't post my usual Thursday morning thoughts on this blog because my father-in-law passed away suddenly.  He was 88 years old, and although he lived a full, healthy and inspired life, he became ill very quickly and died within just a few days of his diagnosis.

My father-in-law was a high school history teacher for over 36 years.  He never tired of teaching all those years and cherished the time he spent with his students and as a football coach.  He truly knew how to appreciate how special each and every day was, and I honestly can't remember ever hearing him complain about anything that didn't go his way.

One of his favorite expressions was a quote he used every time someone in the family got a bonus like getting to spend an extra warm day in late November walking the beach, or enjoying kayaking on a delightfully sunny afternoon when rain was the predicted forecast.  That quote was "No one can ever take that extra pleasure away from you now that you've spent it."

I really gave that quote of his a lot of thought during the past week as our family prepared to say good bye to him at his honorable and very touching Military funeral.  When you spend your time doing things that make you happy, no one can ever take that away from you.

In light of my father n law's favorite expression, I thought I'd share the words below that I have framed in my own writing crate, because I think they personify the very essence of how he lived his life--with purpose and no regrets.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do:


How do you live your life with zeal and purpose?

No comments:

Post a Comment