Monday, February 17, 2014

Inspiring Writing Quotes 2


From Kate's Writing Crate…

 

        Here are some writing quotes that inspire me:

 

It's difficult to beat making your living thinking and writing about subjects that matter to you.  
--Eleanor Holmes Norton                                                                                                                                              
 
We write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospection.      –Anais Nin
 
Writing is a good example of self-abandonment. I never completely forget myself except when I am writing and I am never more completely myself than when I am writing.                             --Flannery O'Connor
 
Be surprised by the crazy, wonderful events that will come dancing out of your past when you stir up the pot of your memory.  
–William Zinsser
 
I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear.         
 –Joan Didion
 
Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.   –Anton Chekhov
 
I write. The longer I live, the more convinced I've become that I cultivate my truest self in this one way.   –Tom Chiarella
 
 
If a writer is constantly concerned with truth, grace, order, and other verities, his inner life just naturally enriches, in proportion to his working.   –William Saroyen
 
Sit down and put down everything that comes into your head and then you're a writer. But an author is one who can judge his own stuff's worth without pity, and destroy most of it.   –Colette
 
Nothing you write, if you hope to be any good, will ever come out as you first hope.   –William Hellman
 
Talent isn't enough. You need motivation—and persistence too; what Steinbeck called a blend of faith and arrogance.   –Leon Uris
 
A great deal of talent is lost to the world for want of a little courage.   –Sydney Smith
 
As for style of writing, if one has anything to say, it drops from him simply and directly, as a stone falls to the ground.  
–Henry David Thoreau
 
Writing is always a voyage of discovery.   –Nadine Gordimer
 
Don't be afraid of giving yourself away for if you write you must. And if you can't face that, better not write.   –Katherine Anne Porter
 
It is easy to lose sight of the fact that writers do not write to impart knowledge to others, rather, they write to inform themselves.   –Judith Guest
 
Writing a book is an endurance contest and a war fought against yourself, because writing is beastly hard work which one would just as soon not do. It's also a job, however, and if you want to get paid, you have to work. Life is cruel that way.   –Tom Clancy
 
Writing is thinking. It is more than living, for it is being conscious of living.   –Anne Morrow Lindbergh
 
You have to remember why you began to write in the first place: for the fun of it. You have to remember the fun of writing.                 –Jack Myers
 
 
What quotes inspire you? Keep them in your Common Book.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment