Thursday, March 20, 2014

Supercharge Your Writing!

From Cheryl's Writing Crate


Happy spring!  Finally--the calendar says spring so regardless of what the weather is currently telling us, I'm going to embrace March 20th as the start to a lovely, refreshing, warm and sunny season of spring.

Truthfully, spring is not one of my top two seasons, but I do love all that it stands for--primarily new growth and fresh beginnings, and for me, part of those fresh beginnings means spring cleaning my life, not just my house.

As part of that process, I include freshening up my home, my garden, my recipes, my exercise and health routines, and of course my writing.  As you may recall from my post last week, I'm currently experiencing a very frustrating situation with my computer--more specifically our router.  I never knew that computer viruses could lurk about in this way, but I found out that it's not as uncommon as you would think.  Sigh!  So, while we await our internet company to rectify the situation, I'm focusing on other areas of my writing that I think could use a bit of spring cleaning.

This year, I'm getting back to basics and working on tightening up my content as well as paying better attention to my grammar.  Lucky for me, my colleague at Macmillan Publisher, Mignon Fogarty also known as Grammar Girl, has just the help I'm looking for--a webcast called "Supercharge Your Writing".  In this new series, you will have access to video lessons on tricky writing topics such as:

  • Me, Myself, and I
  • Lay versus Lie
  • How to Use Hyphens
  • Combining Quotation Marks with Other Punctuation
  • And much, much more!

I encourage you to visit Grammar Girl's website to learn more and while you're there, you are sure to enjoy dozens of helpful and interesting columns and podcasts relating to all things grammar and writing.  Now that spring is in the air, it might be the right time for you to think about freshening up your writing skills as well.

Do you have any spring rituals to transfer from one season to the next?   




No comments:

Post a Comment