Thursday, September 19, 2013

A Writing Time Out

From Cheryl's Writing Crate


Have you ever had "one of those weeks?"  I'm talking the kind of week where nearly everything you go to do turns into a complete disaster?  Well, this was one of those weeks for me, and it's far from over!

Within the past week my laptop (only two months old!) which happens to be my lifeline to just about everything in the outside world crashed!  With no warning at all, I went to turn it on and it flashed a very ugly message--something about pressing a blue key to continue--and guess what--I don't have a blue key on my keyboard!  That started the party of unfortunate electronic failures, where next, our dishwasher (only one year old) decided to quit on me as well.  (I've been doing dishes by hand for one week--and let's not forget I have 7 kids at home!  Yikes!).

Next up is my son's new (well, new-used) car.  He's only had it for three weeks now and it has given him nothing but grief.  Finally, yesterday, it had to be towed back to the dealer because the "Starter" won't start!   So, that in turn gave me an extra chauferring duty--picking him up from football practice every day at 5:30--smack dab during dinner time.

So as not to depress anyone, I'll stop there, but there have been a handful of other incidentals that could literally cause a grown woman to cry, but because I don't have the time for such a luxury, I've chosen another route instead.  A time out!

That's right--I've given myself permission to take a "time out" and for me, that's not an easy thing to pull off.  Today, Thursday September 19th is my "time out" day.  As soon as this post is finished and uploaded (thank goodness my kids all have computers that they don't mind their mother borrowing from time to time) I'm taking my journal (yes, a good old-fashioned paper journal), my favorite pen, the novel I'm currently reading, a small picnic lunch and heading to the beach for the afternoon.  

Once I get settled into my comfy beach chair with my newly painted toes all snuggled beneath the cool September sand, I'm going to close my eyes and just "be".  I'm so excited just thinking about it.  I don't know about you, but I don't sit and think quietly very often.  When I do, I usually have one of my playful dogs or one of my energetic children trying to get my attention.  I'm not complaining, I'm just stating the facts.  If you have pets or kids, I bet you understand.

I'm going to let my mind dictate where this "time out" will take me.  If the muse strikes and I want to write in my journal, I will.  If my novel calls to me to be read, I will.  If the cool ocean breeze beckons me to walk along the shoreline, I will.  If I end up taking a two-hour nap, I'll know that it was meant to be.

Having never really taken a "time out" before, I'm not sure what to expect, but I'm eager to let the afternoon unfold in it's own way.  When I return home later this evening, I may not have a working computer or dishwasher, but my hope is that my senses will be rested and refreshed so I'll be able to handle the next little crisis with a bit more enthusiasm.  And if all goes really well, I just may have to incorporate these "time outs" into my regular schedule which might end up being one of the best gifts I've ever given to myself as a writer, a mom, and especially as a person who is used to always "doing" instead of "being" every once in a while.

What type of "time outs" work for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment