Monday, September 9, 2013

Online Writing Events



From Kate's Writing Crate…

        I love The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Creative Battles by Steven Pressfield. It is the writing book I most often reread. He has written a sequel, Turning Pro: Tap Your Inner Power and Create Your Life's Work, plus other non-fiction books as well as the novel The Legend of Bagger Vance 

I love his inspiring and thoughtful "Writing Wednesdays" blog posts at www.stevenpressfield.com. If you have not read his August 7th entry about "Why (and How) Creative People Say No" by Kevin Ashton, you need to do so and hand out copies to anyone in your life who does not respect or understand your need to say no to social events and other requests. Learning to say no will give you a lot more writing time.

Due to family events I did not want to say no to, I fell behind in reading his posts, but I have caught up now.
On August 21st, he wrote about the Foolscap Method he uses to complete all his books. He is starting an online course to teach this method to all interested writers who want to complete their books and novels.
You do have to sign up your email address to receive the video lectures, but he promises no spam or unwanted emails. I leave it to you to decide whether you want to learn from him or not.
I also read Kristen Lamb's blog, http://warriorwriters.wordpress.com. Author of Are You There Blog, It's Me, Writer, she and many other writing friends, including several best selling authors, offer online writing conferences. A new one, with a fee, is offered October 3-5 if this is of interest to you.
Writers are solitary creatures so it is good to occasionally make contact with and learn from others in our profession. I have no contact with either of these authors except I have read and learned from their books and blogs. I am sharing the news of these online events only in case any reader is interested in them.
Let me know if any online writing events inspire you.
         

No comments:

Post a Comment