Monday, August 29, 2016

Why Write a Blog?



From Kate’s Writing Crate…


          I cannot stress enough how important a blog is for a writer. A commitment to fulfill assignments and meet deadlines is what makes you a better writer—a professional writer, paid or unpaid. Plus it’s a blast!

          When Cheryl suggested starting a blog, I was nervous, but excited. We both wrote down long lists of ideas. We thought we could write two or three times a week if we alternated days Monday through Friday. However, after discussing our jobs and family obligation schedules, we decided to write once a week at the beginning and go from there.

          Writing once a week turned out to be the perfect blog schedule. It gives me time to continue with book reviews. A two- or three-times-a-week blog would have cut into my reading time which would have meant posting reviews less often as well as made me resentful. I love to write, but reading is just as important to me.

          I get cranky when my To-Be-Read pile is low. Happiness isn’t just the good book I’m currently reading, but also knowing there are more good books waiting for me. Reading is relaxing and inspiring.

          I believe every book is a writing primer as well. It tunes our ears so we know when a voice works and when it doesn’t. We see when settings and characters are vividly alive and when they are flat. We get a feel for pacing, point of view, and plot, too. It’s the best kind of learning because it’s hidden in fun.

          I’m a writer because I’m a reader. I loved books as soon as my mother put them in front of me while we read together. I read early and often. If my mother wanted some quiet time, she put down a stack of books next to me. I stayed put turning pages until she called for me.

          I’m a blogger because I’m a writer. Writers write. Commit to writing and you will be pleasantly surprised at what you produce with the pressure of a weekly deadline. This is the 4th anniversary of this blog—and I’m often surprised by and still pleased with most of my posts.




No comments:

Post a Comment